Founded in 1895 Golf at Pumpherston was originally played over nine holes in an area named Harrysmuir.
In 1908, James Caldwell officially opened ta new nine holes where the club remained over 20 years. The club joined the Linlithgowshire Golf Association during this spell, where it has remained a strong competitive member ever since.
In 1931 the club made another move where this time it would stay for over 70 years, forming a formidable reputation for delivering quality golfers whilst being an incredibly sociable club.
Alastair Dempster, Chairman of sportscotland, officially opened the Pumpherston Golf Club's new golf course in 2002. The course conversion from a shale oil refinery site won several prestigious environmental awards.
The site was given a new lease of life with a new nine hole course extension including new clubhouse, practice area and green-keeping facilities. Through the use of leading edge technology, the project received worldwide acclaim and resulted in a truly 'green' golf course. The new clubhouse contains excellent changing facilities and offices, bar, entertainment facilities, dining room, pro shop and junior lounge.
The extended course received the prestigious National Environmental Excellence Award and pan-European Committed to Green Standard from the Scottish Golf Environment Group. For Pumpherston Golf Club this was just the start of a longer-term project to build the game in West Lothian. The club is committed to the development of the sport at junior level. One of the driving forces behind the development of the new course was the desire to build a facility which would help attract and encourage local children to play the game. Pumpherston already has a strong junior membership and over the years has carried out a great deal of work to welcome more boys and girls into the club. In recognition of these efforts, the club was awarded the Scottish Golf Union's Junior Charter - an accolade given to the most "junior friendly" golf clubs in Scotland. The course designers have incorporated the needs of junior members from the outset, which include a practice area complete with pitching and bunker facilities and a putting green. The club also continues to strengthen its existing relationship with local schools and to work with education authorities to develop coaching and playing programmes for youngsters both during and out of the school term.